“Are you always on the run and no time to cook your favorite rice? Why not try mini rice cookers so you can bring along wherever you are!” Hi! Welcome back! In this new post we will learn about mini rice cookers, its evolution, and check out what is the best mini rice cooker in the market today with the top 5 minis.
The first ever rice was cooked in a mushikamado in Japan or tandoor in India used mainly for special occasions and ceremonies. Since then, the way of cooking rice has changed and evolved until the first electric rice cooker in 1955 was introduced. After the release of the first ever electric rice cooker, the science of this kitchen equipment also evolved and improved.
Today, we are now enjoying the convenience this equipment brings and have also been categorized depending on your choices:
- Standard Rice Cookers
- Modern Rice Cookers
- Improved Rice Cookers
- Micom Rice Cookers
- Microwave Rice Cookers
- And Mini Rice Cookers
On Mini Rice Cookers
Mini rice cookers have been introduced for those people who are always on the go and those who love being independent. Mini rice cookers are good for single use and can cook 1 cup of rice plus other recipes too.
Being portable and very handy, you can bring along the mini rice cooker wherever and whenever you hit the road.
Who can use mini rice cookers?
- University Students
- Office Staff
- Busy people
Other recipes you can cook
- Instant noodles
- Boiled eggs
- Steamed vegetables
Pros and Cons of Mini Rice Cookers
Although convenient to use, there are also both advantages and disadvantages of mini rice cookers. Here are a few:
- Fully Automated
- Easy to clean and store
- Limited Capacity
- Some brands are expensive
- Electric voltage can be different in some areas
How to cook rice in a mini rice cooker
The steps to cooking rice in mini rice cookers are similar to using standard rice cookers but with slight difference. Follow the instructions below:
- Put 1 cup of rice in the inner pot and rinse thoroughly
- Add the correct water level to the rice as prescribed. (If you are using White short-grain rice then add 1 1/4 cups to 1 cup of water)
- Add water to the base of the mini rice cooker up to its maximum markings. The boiling water from the base will steam the rice and cook. Secure the locks.
- Set the steamer and cook rice for about 30-45 minutes
- Fluff rice with the included spatula and serve!
But of course there are many mini rice cookers available in the market today and it seems like all of them are practically the same. However, there are really brands that live up to or even exceed our expectations when it comes to functionality and customer satisfaction.
Find out the top 5 best mini rice cookers that I have gathered below:
What is the Best Mini Rice Cooker – The 5 Best Minis
Here are the top 5 mini rice cookers popularly used and reviewed online by real customers. If you are looking for which mini rice cooker to buy, then check these out:
- Ideal for 1.5 cups (uncooked) of any rice variety (makes 3 cups of cooked rice)
- With removable non-stick inner pot
- 1-touch Cook-Keep warm function
- Built-in Handles for easy to carry feature
- With detachable cord for easy storage
This mini rice cooker comes with a carrying bag suitable for lunches and picnics. Now you will never have to miss on your favorite rice and rice recipes anytime you want to.
Downside: Although it can cook other rice varieties such as brown rice, you have to really pay attention to your cooking and add more water when needed.
- Automatic 1 touch cooking (shuts off automatically when rice is cooked)
- Good for 1.5 cups of uncooked rice
- Durable non-stick aluminum coated inner pot
- With rice measuring cup included
Measured to perfection, this Panasonic SR-3NAL, 1.5 cup Automatic rice cooker is made to keep up with your daily activities whether indoors or outdoors. Cook other special dishes too with its non-stick aluminum inner pot.
Downside: This rice cooker looks like any standard rice cookers but in a smaller size so you get the same convenience however, it does not have any keep warm option. The light and the power shuts-off immediately once the cooking is complete.
- Serves 3-cups cooked rice
- With automatic keep warm function
- With Indicator lights
- Built-in Lid holder
- Removable non-stick inner pot
- Tempered glass lid
A sumptuous dinner awaits you and your special someone when you use Black & Decker Single Serve Rice Cooker. This mini rice cooker is perfect for honeymooners who are starting their home with funky looking kitchen appliance yet at affordable prices. This will make you a kitchen expert with other dishes that you can cook with.
Downside: The non-stick Teflon chips off after several uses and it does mix with the rice and other dishes you are cooking.
- With Digital and Analog Panel
- Lunchbox-design for easy to carry feature
- With Automatic Keep Warm function
- Secured snap-down lid
“Adulting” will never be the same with Aroma Housewares Mi Digital Cool Touch Mini rice cooker. You can enjoy “Me” time better especially in cooking your own rice and other dishes. No need to call grandma and mom on how to cook your favorite dish when you miss home! With its programmable digital functions, you can ‘Wow’ your officemates when you cook rice at the office.
Downside: Most customers who bought this mini rice cooker noticed that after several uses particularly after 3 months, it stopped working. However, this is an almost perfect partner at home, in the dorm or at the office!
- Yields 6 cups cooked rice from 3-cups uncooked rice
- Boasts of its Micro-computerized (Micom) Fuzzy Logic technology
- With automatic keep-warm, extended warm, and reheating functions
- BPA-free steaming basket
- Easy to clean with stainless-steel outer design
- Removable inner pot
- Easy to read LCD- control panel
- With retractable power cord
- Modern design to match any kitchen interiors
Flawless rice every time with Zojirushi NS-LAC05XT Micom 3-Cup Rice Cooker, as you travel along with this intelligent equipment. You can make any kinds of rice such as: sushi rice, brown rice, mixed rice, and more.
Downside: This can be the perfect mini rice cooker for independent people and busy-bees but the price is quite expensive.
The best mini rice cooker is:
Zojirushi NS-LAC05XT Micom 3-Cup Rice Cooker!
Should you buy the Mini?
Mini rice cooker is not for everyone. Although its features are very tempting and convincing, you have to be practical enough and think if it will be advantageous for you and your needs. Mini rice cookers can simply give the convenience of home cooking anywhere since it can cook other dishes too.
The versatility and technology that mini rice cookers bring is very impressive however it is not entirely beneficial for everyone especially for bigger families.
When you invest on kitchen equipments such as rice cookers, think about its benefits in the long-run. There are a lot of rice cooker technologies you can choose from. If you are the type of person who are independent, self-sufficient, and always on-the-go traveling and exploring, then this mini rice cooker is for you.
So, should you buy a mini rice cooker? Ask yourself and assess your needs. If yes, then you can choose from the top 5 options given above.
I hope you have learned more information about mini rice cookers, the pros and cons, and especially on which brand to choose and use.