Hi Everyone! Are you looking for the best alternatives to dairy milk? Well, rice milk is a great substitute, perfect for some homemade desserts. Find out what is the best rice milk ice cream recipe in this new post.
What is Rice Milk?
Rice milk is a popular dairy alternative most commonly consumed by lactose intolerant people, vegans or those looking for low-fat ingredients in order to control their body weight. Rice milk is created by mixing milled rice with water until the mixture turns into liquid.
The process of making rice milk causes carbohydrates to turn into sugars, which is why this dairy alternative has a naturally sweeter taste and makes for a great ice cream ingredient. There are also popular brown rice milk for healthier option.
You can definitely choose which type of rice grain suits your taste and health conditions. Brown rice and wild rice are the two most healthy grains, so you can check out the previous posts on how to prepare or cook each variety.
This very popular cow’s milk alternative is a real lifesaver for vegans and those who cannot consume dairy due to health related reasons. However, before we get into explaining how to make rice milk ice cream, let’s take a look at the difference between rice milk and regular cow’s milk.
Rice Milk vs Cow’s Milk
As it is widely known, cow’s milk is one of the greatest sources of protein, vitamins D and K as well as calcium that can be found in every local grocery store. The main difference between cow’s milk and rice milk is in the nutritious value of the two.
Cow’s milk is much richer in nutrients, as rice milk is very low on protein and carries twice as many carbohydrates.
Rice milk is usually made from long-grain white rice variety, but you can make your own homemade rice milk by using the healthiest types of rice. However, even though rice milk doesn’t come close to cow’s milk in terms of nutrients, it is a great alternative for those who are avoiding dairy.
This type of milk is the safest option in terms of allergic reactions, as it is the least likely kind of milk to cause any allergy related issues. Even though plain rice milk is very low in nutrients, it doesn’t mean this type of milk should be neglected.
You can look for brands that add flavors and sweeteners as well as boost the product with additional vitamins and other nutrients. Therefore, you can get quite a lot from rice milk if you look for products with added vitamins and calcium.
However, if you’re mostly consuming rice milk, make sure to look for a good protein source on the side so you don’t end up lacking this important nutrient.
How to Make Rice Milk Ice Cream
Whether you’re lactose intolerant, vegan or you cannot consume dairy for any other reason, it doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy a nice and cold serving of ice cream on a hot summer day.
When it comes to high summer temperatures, a bowl of ice cream is often the best solution for cooling down. That’s when rice milk steps into the game, as this dairy alternative can make for a great ice cream ingredient!
Making rice milk ice cream is quite simple, prepare a healthy and cold ice cream dessert by following the steps below.
- rice milk
- sugar or other type of sweetener and a flavoring ingredient
- some flavoring ingredient
As we mentioned above, rice milk has a naturally sweeter taste, which makes it a great ice cream ingredient. However, you’re going to need an extra source of sugar in order to create a sweet-flavored ice cream. Depending on your preferences, you can use sugar or any other type of sweetener.
Next up, the flavoring ingredient is the crucial part of your ice cream mixture.
Plain rice milk or even sweetened rice milk is not going to make for a great ice cream flavor. Therefore, you need an extra ingredient to add some taste to it. You can use cocoa or any type of fruit to add flavor to your rice milk ice cream.
Besides the ingredients, you will need some props for the ice cream making process, including a bowl, blender and an ice cream maker machine.
Watch this video below on how to make easy rice milk ice cream!
The Secret Recipe to a Great Rice Milk
- Once you’ve got all the ingredients ready, pour the rice milk into the blender and add the sweetener of your choice. Make sure to start off with only a little bit of sweetener, such as a tablespoon or two, depending on how much milk you’re using.
- Blend it together and taste the milk to check the sweetness. Keep in mind that during the freezing process the sweetness of the ice cream slightly fades away so your mixture needs to be a bit too sweet at this point.
- Once you taste it, if it doesn’t taste very sweet, add more sweetener to it and lend until you get to the desired amount of sweetness.
- The next step is to add the flavoring ingredient to the sweetened milk and blend it together. Once again try the mixture to make sure it tastes right. After blending, pour the mixture into a bowl and put it in the fridge to cool down.
- After the mixture has cooled down, pour it into your ice cream making machine. There are plenty of different ice cream makers out there and they don’t all work the same. Therefore, make sure to use the machine according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- You will know that your ice cream is ready once the mixture has thickened and feels semi-solid. You can serve the ice cream right away or put it away in the freezer.
The Best Rice Milk Ice Cream Recipe
As you can tell, making rice milk ice cream is a very quick and easy process. To make things more interesting and delicious, you can experiment with different flavors and sweeteners to find your own unique ice cream mixture.
One of my favorite rice milk ice cream recipes is the strawberry rice milk ice cream with just a few extra ingredients to spice things up!
What you will need for the strawberry rice milk ice cream are
- two cups of fresh strawberries
- half a cup of vanilla rice milk
- half a tablespoon of almond extract
If you don’t have any fresh strawberries, frozen ones will work fine but fresh is always better.
How to Make
- Wash and hull the strawberries and put them in the blender with the vanilla rice milk. The vanilla extract will add a much better taste to the milk and create a perfect mixture when combined with the strawberries.
- Blend those two together and add sugar or any other sweetener.
- Taste the mixture to make sure it is really sweet
- Then add the almond extract.
- Blend the ingredients once again and let the mixture cool down in the fridge.
- Once cold, churn the mixture in the ice cream maker and serve it when ready!
Overall, rice milk may not be as nutritious as cow’s milk but it is one of the best alternatives you can ever find. Besides, plenty of brands add nutrients and flavors to plain rice milk to improve its nutritious value and taste.
This type of milk is a great solution and substitute for regular dairy and it makes for a great ice cream ingredient!
Share your delicious recipes with us and if you haven’t tried rice milk ice cream, make sure to give it a shot and let us know how you like it!